MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
By the Shores of Silver Lake  - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams Another interesting read in the Little House series. Sigourney remains fascinated by everything Laura. And I'm loving the example Laura sets for young girls. Sure, everyone in the family needs to chip in on chores, and teaching and child-raising are extremely important jobs. But in no way should a girl's imagination be limited by these traditional ideas about gender roles. I want Siggy to dream about things like dancing in fairy circles, working on railroads, running through wide open spaces, and traveling to parts unknown. Laura loves a challenge. May Siggy approach newness with a similar adventurous spirit.

What I didn't like about the book was the skipping over of major life events. Between [b:On the Banks of Plum Creek|7882|On the Banks of Plum Creek (Little House, #4)|Laura Ingalls Wilder|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1266449569s/7882.jpg|1402758] and By the Shores of Silver Lake, the Ingalls suffered through a bout of scarlet fever that blinded Mary, welcomed baby Grace to the family, and lost a newborn son. Major stuff! Yet these events receive only passing mention in Silver Lake. After journeying with the Ingalls and Wilders through four books, I feel we deserved to be let in on these life-changers.

Overall, the Little House series remains a must-read for people wanting a first-hand account of the settler life in late 19th-century America. Additionally, Wilder's work offers insight into the patriotism, revivalism, and exceptionalism inherent in much of Evangelical Christianity even today. LIW's given us yet another important, Newbery Honor-winning contribution to world literature.