MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
For the Win - Cory Doctorow Whew, I'm exhausted! What a ride. I'm not in the mood to write a long review. I'll just say Doctorow surprised me. I didn't expect primers on gaming, global economics, organizing and labor history. I also didn't anticipate caring deeply for the young gamers. I really, really, really didn't want them to suffer. They did. I ached so hard for them! For the Win's a gut-wrencher.

Doctorow's done young and older readers a great service. I'm guessing the vast majority of people who pick up this book will know nothing about Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) and their revolutionary concept of "One Big Union". What if humanity actually lived up to ideas like "an injury to one is an injury to all" and "love your enemies"? Talk about positive social change! Doctorow's dystopian vision brought up a host of hope-filled utopian thoughts for me. At the same time, I despaired that changing the unjust status quo required the ultimate sacrifice by young people. Like I said, a gut-wrencher.

I strongly recommend giving For the Win a try. You might just learn something!