MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You  - Neil Gaiman, Bryan Talbot, Shawn McManus, Colleen Doran I tried to rate A Game of You lower than five stars, then I came to my senses. Gaiman's depiction of the relationship between Barbie and Wanda/Alvin won me in the end. Maybe I was thrown by the shift in scope from epic to personal. I was getting used to the idea of battles between Heaven and Hell, Order and Chaos. But really, A Game of You is a continuation of the Order/Chaos standoff, only on what appears to be a micro level. Barbie's dream and "real" worlds are microcosms of the epic cosmos-wide upheavals happening in the Sandman universe.

A Game of You suggests that entrenched forms of Order don't give up power without struggle. Wanda's/Alvin's older values-driven family refuses to accept their transgendered relation. Fundamentalist religious blame hard times on the "sinful" behaviors of people viewed as different. Such Falwellian thought, as when Wanda's relative claims the hurricane was divine punishment for the immorality of New Yorkers, is a now-classic tactic of old order clinging desperately to outdated cultural forms. Falwellian dreams are nightmares, really. (The only good thing about the theology of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson? It provides Jesus followers with examples of how not to practice the Great Commandment of loving God and neighbor.) Barbie's final act of sabotage - writing "Wanda" in bright lipstick on the tombstone - is my favorite moment of the story. Sure, that rebellious act will fade with time, but the old order will be changed as well. A simple name as prop art. I love it!