MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House  - Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Chris Bachalo, Mike Dringenberg Wow. You know you have an eclectic comic series on your hands when Gilbert/G.K. Chesterton makes an appearance, and a near-super-heroic one at that! The portly one knows his chivalry and how to sweep the knee.

Sandman Volume 1: Preludes & Nocturnes is really good, but it can't hold a candle to Watchmen. The Doll's House really goes for it. It's smart and disturbing as hell. My favorite moment occurs toward the end where Rose Walker and Dream philosophize separately about their lack of free will:

ROSE
It means that we're just dolls. We don't have a clue what's really going down, we just kid ourselves that we're in control of our lives while a paper's thickness away things that would drive us mad if we thought about them for too long play with us, and move us around from room to room, and put us away at night when they're tired, or bored.

DREAM
We of the endless are the servants of the living--we are NOT their masters. WE exist because they know, deep in their hearts, that we exist. When the last living thing has left this universe, then our task will be done. And we do not manipulate them. If anything, they manipulate us. We are their toys. Their dolls, if you will.

Is this the source of Dream's hope from P&N? That humanity eventually can transcend their need for the endless? Not sure yet. Gaiman has plenty of 'splaining left to do before I understand the mythological makeup of his universe.

While the entire collection's a must-read in my book, Collectors stands above the rest. As with 24 Hours from P&N, it'll make you squirm. But stick with it to the end. It's well worth the effort.