MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
Chu's Day - Adam Rex, Neil Gaiman The main strength of Chu's Day is the artwork by Adam Rex. He did an amazing job telling the story visually. I especially loved the wary and defeated expressions on Chu's parent's faces. They're scared to death the little guy's going to uncork a world-altering sneeze. And the drawings of Chu amping up to a sneeze, with his aviator goggles fallen over his eyes, are very cute. The interiors of the library, diner, and circus are terrific as well. Five stars for the illustrator!

Neil Gaiman's story is another, well, story. I kept asking myself why in the world Chu's story needed to be told. His sneezes are strong enough to blow over circus tents, trains, elephants and semi trucks. So what? I'd have given the book two stars if it weren't for Sigourney's reaction during the read along. She absolutely loved it! The pictures made her very happy, and she had a blast imitating the "AAH- AAAAH- AAAAAH-" windups to the climactic sneeze. The opening line - "When Chu sneezed, bad things happened" - set the stage perfectly and let me have some cute "what do you think's going to happen next?" moments with Sigourney. It's a fun enough story, and every children's book doesn't need to include Sesame Street-like educational "aha!" moments. So in the end, I'll take the toddler's lead and give Chu's Day four stars.