MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
God's Dream - Desmond Tutu, Douglas Carlton Abrams, LeUyen Pham I can't stress enough the importance of Archbishop Tutu as a world figure. I had the privilege during divinity school of spending three months living and working with Burundian and Congolese refugees in inner city Cape Town, South Africa. Bishop Peter Storey, former General Secretary of the South African Council of Churches and a major player in the development of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, invited me there. I got to walk in the footsteps of Mandela and Tutu.

Tutu's Ubuntu theology speaks of deep human-human and human-divine interconnection. Tutu's teaching on the image of God being inseparable from our humanity has had particular resonance for me. If we're all made in the image of God, then we all have an inherent dignity that should not be dishonored. Treating other people badly is like "spitting in the face of God". A challenging teaching! Reconciliation and forgiveness are central to Ubuntu. Hence the language in God's Dream of God smiling when forgiveness and reconciliation occur. This book is Ubuntu articulated for young children. It's beautiful, and LeUyen Pham's illustrations suite the message perfectly.

During potty training, our toddler Sigourney ask me to read God's Dream to her every time she went to the bathroom. To this day, she can't get enough of it. I wish I could hand out more than 5 stars...