MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot! - Scott Magoon I enjoyed a number of things about The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!:

- Our toddler wanted a repeat read.
- Magoon's illustrations, especially his depiction of light (fading and brightening skies), were well done.
- It's fun that you don't know until halfway through the book that Bigfoot's the narrator. Bigfoot's name for Ben - Littlefoot - is hilarious.
- The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot! breathes fresh life into the classic tale of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf".
- I found Magoon's depiction of Ben's parents' love for him to be very sweet. The book made Sigourney and me happy.
- Bigfoot can be a scary, mysterious being for young kids to encounter. Magoon makes Bigfoot and other frightening monsters safe for his youngest readers. If Ben and his little sister can meet their fears head on, why can't we?

So why not more stars? Other than the use of Bigfoot instead of a wolf, there's not much creative here. Magoon's merely tweaking and regurgitating previously-used story ideas. I tend to prefer source material over such retellings. But don't let my 3-star rating deter you from picking this one up for yourselves. Sigourney'd never encountered "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", was fascinated by the artwork, and squealed "Whazzat!" when Bigfoot stepped out of the trees for the first time. More than likely, your little one will like it, too.