MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
John Dies at the End  - David Wong "John Dies at the End is like an H.P. Lovecraft tale if Lovecraft were into poop and fart jokes." --Fangoria

Throw in penis jokes, and Fangoria's assessment is accurate. Actually, this book's a mash-up of Lovecraft, Dick's [b:A Scanner Darkly|14817|A Scanner Darkly|Philip K. Dick|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348590465s/14817.jpg|1527439], Thompson's [b:Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas|7745|Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas|Hunter S. Thompson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333056001s/7745.jpg|1309111], and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It's bizarre, violent, juvenile, and funny. Cue the genitalia humor:
John, let me make one thing clear.... Every man is blessed with his gifts from the Lord. One of mine happens to be a penis large enough that, if it had a penis of its own, my penis's penis would be larger than your penis.

Ah, takes me back to my days in the Beta house when I found such banter hilarious. Now it gets a nostalgic grin.

If juvenile humor's not your thing, there's still plenty to like about John Dies at the End. Existential dread, constant uncertainty about what's real, surrealism, commentary on a number of expressions of violence (war, bullying, and video games), a softly farting woman (it'll make sense if you read it), imaginative world-building, and realistically depicted relationships between twenty somethings--not bad! And if you find your mind wandering, something will happen to shock the crap out of you. Honestly, my earlier mash-up comment aside, I've never read anything even remotely like this. Wong/Pargin's an original! Give the book a try if you can stomach a little gore.