MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon
The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett I was a late convert to liking The Light Fantastic. Sure, the imagination and world-building prowess are mind-blowing. But the humor! See if you cringe as much as I did over this dated joke:
'Rincewind, all the shops have been smashed open, there was a whole bunch of people across the street helping themselves to musical instruments, can you believe that?'

'Yeah.... Luters, I expect.'

Then there's this gem: "... said Rincewind, as politely as possible while grinning like a necrophiliac in a morgue." Really? How long till pull-my-finger references make an appearance?

What made me step away from the 2-star ledge? Pratchett's geekiness grew on me. I'm a sucker for well done cosmological and philosophical speculation. For example:
Rincewind stared, and knew that there were far worse things than Evil. All the demons in Hell would torture your very soul, but that was precisely because they value souls very highly; evil would always try to steal the universe, but at least it considered the universe worth stealing. But the gray world behind those empty eyes would trample and destroy without even according its victims the dignity of hatred. It wouldn't even notice them.

I find that cool. And the relationship between Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage is cute. Oh, and there really are a number of genuinely funny moments.

Overall an improvement over [b:The Color of Magic|34497|The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348426385s/34497.jpg|194190], the first Discworld novel. It's fun!