MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1)

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1) - Ursula K. Le Guin Wow. There's not much I can add to the world-wide discussion on this one. My only complaint? The book wasn't longer! Le Guin had to pack a ton of story into only 205 pages. But the largest part of me likes the fact that she didn't fill in all the blanks for me. For example, small pieces of the Archipelago's creation myth are divulged. But Le Guin doesn't take space to tell the full story. Did I need her to? No, but I wouldn't have minded more mythological background.

I'm drawn to stories about broken, humble heroes. Ged certainly fits that mold. His emotional scars are visible on his face. And in the end, his mission isn't about slaying great beasts, saving princesses, or securing a treasure hoard. His primary task is to embrace his shadow side and become a complete being (Jung, take note!): "Ged reached out his hands, dropping his staff, and took hold of his shadow, of the black self that reached out to him. Light and darkness met, and joined, and were one." Ged's greatest enemy? Himself. Now it's time for him to take on the shadows and evils of the Archipelago and beyond. Really, really well done!