MatthewHunter

Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies - William Golding,  Edmund L. Epstein Oh yeah, now I remember why I loved Lord of the Flies when I read it 25 years ago in high school. I've been saying for years it's a favorite of mine. But after reading similarly themed YA blockbusters like The Hunger Games, I feared that LotF would seem dated or boring. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Golding's a master at building tension, engaging in powerful social commentary, and damn near ending my relationship with meat products. The ritual slaughter of the sow is one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever read.

Really, what's not to love about LotF? There's a slide into barbarism, a warning of the dangers connected with civilizational collapse, an anti-war message, theological and mythological speculation, an exploration of potentially dark forces held at bay by human social and moral codes, and the single most haunting image - a slaughtered pig's head skewered on a sharpened stick - I've encountered in literature. I can't get it out of my mind!

There's really not much I can add to the discussion on LotF. It's an amazing work that's aging extremely well. I'd recommend the read to anyone.