MatthewHunter

Riders of the Purple Sage
Zane Grey
Vampires, Zombies, & Wanton Souls
Marge Simon

Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius)

Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius) - Phil Foglio,  Kaja Foglio I'm confused. Was that a novel or a freight train coming at me? Good lord the ending is crammed full of important plot points! It felt rushed.

Since this novel is my first experience with the Genius Girl series, I had a lot of catching up to do throughout the book. Some details were lacking that would have been aided by a picture or two. (What exactly do the Jagermonsters look like anyway? And what about important characters like Dr. Roivanen? We hardly get to know this pivotal person!) The novel suffers, I think, from it's comic roots, struggling to paint scenes with words instead of pictures.

Based on the rave reviews earned by the comic, it appears that the loss of the graphic content has drained the Genius Girl story of the majority of it's madcap humor. I laughed at some of the Jagermonsters' antics and muppet-like accents. Othar had some funny lines, but the attempt to paint him in a Looney Toons manner fell flat. He came across as a misguided bungler, not a swashbuckling adventurer. Maybe that's a good way to describe the main problem with the novel - muted swashbuckling and humor; increased sadness and somewhat disturbing violence. Amanda awakening in compromising positions in her underwear? Not funny. The ripping apart of certain characters? Definitely not funny, really sad, and disturbing! I need to read the graphic novels to experience the humor and magnificent storytelling that the Foglios are known for. I look forward to giving them a second chance.